Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Marrying a Canadian...

So, don't get me wrong, I love Michael, and I like that he's got different views on things and different perspectives, but sometimes, being married to a Canadian is TOUGH.

Michael can only work 20 hours a week at the moment (and only on campus...aka: CRAPPY WAGES), because he is on a student visa. If he goes over that amount, he will be deported back to Canada. Awesome. So, I don't know HOW we are going to survive financially with a baby for the first bit until I go back to cosmetology school and start making tips again. I mean, I'm working for Joe and Tina right now so we'll be able to save up some money, but it won't be NEARLY enough for a baby.

Oh, and Michael's passport expires in seven days. Which means, technically, his visa won't work anymore. So, we've got to get him a new passport (thankfully his visa is still valid while it is being processed...so we just have to fill out the paperwork, find a place to take his picture (the passport photo is a different size than in the U.S., and pay for it in the next seven days).

So, Michael and I are TRYING to save enough money to "buy" his green card paperwork, but, it's over 1,300 dollars. Which is super hard to come up with when you are working 20 hrs at 8 dollars an hour... and also trying to save enough money for a baby in the next 5 months or so. YIKES.

Once Michael gets his paperwork done (and someone sponsors him), and he gets approved, he'll be able to work somewhere else and more than just 20 hours a week. But, the paperwork can take MONTHS to be processed. (He had a brother that didn't get his processed for over 3 years).

Also, until the paperwork is done, he can't leave the country, or he won't be able to get back in because of his marital status. So, if we go to Canada before it's done, we won't be coming back until it goes through. Awesome. So, that's why I STILL haven't been able to go see where Michael is from.

There is just a lot of stress in our lives right now, that I really wish we wouldn't have to deal with. We've actually even contemplated Michael transferring to a school in Canada because he'd be able to work how ever many hours he needs to, and then I'd just have to do some paperwork to get permanent residency, and then I'll be able to be covered by Canadian health care, and so will the baby. But, Michael doesn't want to do that, and I don't necessarily either because it would be COLD, and who knows how long we'd be stuck in Canada?

Anyway, my advice? Don't marry a Canadian unless you want to deal with all of the foreignness. haha. It's just SO ridiculous because CANADA IS BASICALLY THE SAME. It's closer to Stirling, AB from UT than to North Brunswick, NJ. BY A LOT. It's only an 11 hour drive to Stirling...
Anyway, Canadians aren't that different, why is EVERYTHING so complicated if you marry one? Meh.

Oh well, time to go.

2 comments:

  1. I really feel for you guys! We have similar issues with our visas every year, but at least we KNEW it would be like that and we are both foreigners. (PS - I love the top quote about colored pencil vs pencil crayon!! hehe).

    Could you do student loans? Can Canadians get student loans? Not that you want to do it so you can spend loads of money, but a lot of people have to take out student loans to pay for school and live while they are students. Sorry life is so stressful for you guys right now. See, your life is crazy too!!! Good luck with everything!

    Oh, and I laughed when you didn't want to move to Canada because it is COLD!!! I feel the same way! haha I hate the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we CAN do student loans, but we were trying not to because Michael plans on med school, and we don't want to have to take out a loan for an undergrad... because for Med school there is NO WAY we'll be able to figure out how to pay for it without loans. But, I suppose if that's what we have to do, then that's what we have to do. We were going to make it by (barely) without a baby, but there is no way we'll be able to figure it out with one I'm afraid... unless Michael's paperwork magically gets done and processed by July. Because then Michael can work SUPER LONG hours (at more than 7 dollars an hour...) so we can pay for medical bills, and hopefully just have to take out a short time loan for Fall's tuition and then pay it off by the end of the school year (as well as winter semester).

    I think the most stressful part is not knowing HOW we are going to survive.

    Yeah, I think I'd freeze in Canada... and be one of those people they find 1000s of years from now preserved because of ice. lol
    I don't mind the cold, but if it's between 10 and - 5 degrees F more than one DAY a year, I can't do it... and Canada has that like... 6 MONTHS a year... haha, yeah, not going to happen unless that is our only option.

    ReplyDelete