Monday, June 18, 2012

Bedrest and June Babies

Well,
I've been put on bed rest. Last week, it wasn't a strict bed rest, but as of today, it is. I'm not supposed to even get up without help if I can help it. Woo!

Since being on bed rest, I've decided to try to pick up some sort of hobby so that I could fill my time with something other than TV/Computer stuff. So, I started to learn how to crochet.

This is what I've done so far (in the three hours I've been doing it... haha)






One is a headband for me, and one is a matching one for Emmalynn! Woot!

So, here's the story. I did a 24 hours urine protein test over the weekend and turned in the stuff for it today at the outpatient center in the hospital. They said they would send the results to my doctor's office and they should contact me in 2-3 days.
However, while Michael and I were hanging out with Michael's brother and family I had my phone in the other room. When they left, I saw I had 3 missed calls from the doctor's office. Oops! I wasn't supposed to get the results until later, so I wasn't expecting a call or anything. Anyway, I listened to the message they left, and they said things like "We received your lab results and need to speak with you today" "please call back before 5" "we have very specific instructions for you that we need to tell you about" etc. It was all very professional, but we could tell that there was something with my lab results that needed to be taken care of sooner rather than later. So, I called back (even though it was 6:30 and the office closes at 5) to listen to the instructions on how to speak to someone on-call. But, they said not to use the on-call person for lab results... but I still felt a little bit uneasy about not doing ANYTHING about the message they left. So, Michael and I decided we should head to the hospital... again. Yay! We knew they would have my results and there would be a doctor from our office there that could talk to us about them. So off we went! We got there, they pulled up my records and called the doctor over right away.

The doctor told us I had 900mg protein in my urine... meaning I most definitely have pre-eclampsia and need to be monitored (since 300mg is pre-eclampsia). They took me to a room and had me change into one of their lovely gowns and started to monitor the baby and check the amniotic fluid. As of right now, the fluid looks good and the baby is still doing well, but I will be monitored again Wednesday and Thursday and then, we'll be having our baby sometime Monday (as long as all goes well)!

Who knew I'd be having a June baby? Crazy! So much to do, not allowed to do it, and so little time! YIKES! Anyway, long story short. I have pre-eclampsia that is developing some-what quickly so we are having our baby at 37 weeks. I'll go to the hospital Sunday night and they will induce me then, unless some of the tests they do later one this week show a rapid decline in placental function, in which case they will admit me sooner.

Scary scary scary!

In the meantime, here are some pictures of our apartment! It's just our kitchen and bedroom for now... even though we've got another room and a living room and laundry room/storage room and bathroom.
The 'room' with the crib in it is actually attached to our bedroom kind of like a closet.

The pictures aren't the greatest because I am still figuring out how to use our camera... haha.











5 comments:

  1. I'm glad they found it! At least it is only a few days of bed rest, though I'm sure you are anxious and a bit shocked to be having a baby already! June 25th is my sister's birthday, so it's a great day! :) Are you going to be able to have anyone there to help? Good luck Amy - we are thinking about you and praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the little baby "closet" is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad you are so far along. I had a friend that had Pre-E and had to take the baby a few months early. He is fine now, but it was a scary road. Thankfully 37 weeks is considered full term. Thinking about you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty thankful that three-4 weeks of bed rest turned into only about a week and a half! I'm not sure what is going to happen as far as people being here to help. Alison is in NJ until July 3rd, and Mom and Dad and Chrissy were going to come out July 17th.

      I've got some friends here in Provo area that will help out, but I don't think we'll have anyone staying with us to help out.

      Yes, we are quite fond of the baby closet. It's pretty exciting. We've got a bassinet for the first few months, but even after that we'll be able to have the baby in the room with us (while we get hers painted and set up).

      Yeah, they'll keep us in the hospital a few extra days to monitor us, but we should be able to go home fairly soon after the baby comes since I am so far along. Anyway, life's crazy!

      Delete
  4. Take care of yourself and good luck, I'll keep you in my prayers! Love you!

    ReplyDelete